Ready for the best mountain travel inspiration? The following mountain quotes are our absolute favorites to inspire you for your next mountain trip.
Every time when we are in a mountain area we feel all the energy in our bodies, ready to explore the amazing views a nice hike or what about a nice biking trail. As you maybe already know, there are no mountains in the Netherlands, it’s a flat country.
When I face a mountain with my bike or backpack on my back I always feel so little, and sometimes when we have to embrace a steep climb it feels so overwhelmed. But always keep in mind, it’s not about the final destination it’s all about the steps in between.
Let’s explore the mountain quotes who means a lot to us.
Inspirational Short Mountain quotes
1. “Go where you feel most alive.”
2. “Hike more. Worry Less.”
Hiking is like meditation, you only have to think about the elements of nature. When I feel stressed I go for a hike and it really helps me to reduce the stress and rethink where I’m worrying about. For me the result is not just during the hike but also after finishing the hike I feel more relaxed.
3. “The best view comes after the hardest climb.”
Even when you feel so little on the beginning of the climb of the mountain and the climb is really hard, the views when you reached the top makes you feel forget everything.
4. “Every mountain top is within reach if you just keep climbing.” – Barry Finlay
5. “You are not in the mountains. The mountains are in you.” – John Muir
6. “How wild it was, to let it be.” – Cheryl Strayed
7. “It’s not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
You can learn things out of books and Youtube, but the best thing while hiking is that you will learn a lot of things about yourself.
8. “There are far better things ahead than the ones we leave behind.” – C.S. Lewis
9. All good things are wild and free.
10. “Don’t be afraid to fail. Be afraid not to try.”
In the last couple of years we did some amazing challenges. Some were non prepared but we always believed in our powers. Just try and see how everything goes. Cycling trough Iceland in one of the roughest months of the year, we did it and we can think back about those adventures with a big smile on our face. Don’t let fair be the enemy of all your wild dreams.
11. “I go to seek a great perhaps” – John Green
12. “I learn something every time I go into the mountains.” – Michael Kennedy
13. Somewhere between the bottom of the climb and the summit is the answer to the mystery why we climb. – Greg Child
14. “You can’t move mountains by whispering at them.”
15. “The summit is what drives us, but the climb itself is what matters.” – Conrad Anker
16. Life is better in hiking boots.”
Even when I really like walking barefoot all the time, when I put my hiking boots on I know there is a new adventure waiting for me.
17. “A little more altitude, a little less attitude”
18. “Going to the mountains is like going home” – John Muir
19. “When preparing to climb a mountain, pack a light heart.” – Dan May
20. “Good things don’t come by easy”. – Bear Grylls
21. “Leave the road, take the trails”. – Pythagoras
22. “Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization”. – Charles Lindbergh
23. “I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference”. – Robert Frost
Inspirational Mountain Quotes
24. “Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you’re climbing it.” – Andy Rooney
25. Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddam mountain.” – Jack Kerouac
I’m a big fan of this quote! I really believe in collecting memories and not things. I can talk endless about all my travel adventures, but when someone ask me about my previous job at the office, I can explain it in seconds. Don’t waste time but make the memories now!
26. “We don’t live to eat and make money. We eat and make money to be able to enjoy life. That is what life means, and that is what life is for”. – George Mallory
27. “Never measure the height of a mountain until you reach the top. Then you will see how low it was.”
28. “Life’s a bit like mountaineering – never look down.” – Sir Edmund Hillary
29. “In the mountains there are only two grades: you can either do it, or you can’t.” – Rusty Baillie
30. “As a mountain you can’t grow, but as a human I can” – Edmund Hillary
Personal development is one of the most important things in live! Develop your body and mindset every day.
31. “Over every mountain, there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley.” – Theodore Roethke
32. “Mountains are only a problem when they are bigger than you. You should develop yourself so much that you become bigger than the mountains you face.” – Idowu Koyenikan
33. “Always be thankful for the little things even the smallest mountains can hide the most breathtaking views” – Nyki Mack
Bigger is not always better, always keep in mind don’t compare mountains but enjoy every moment and every view!
34. “When the sun is shining I can do anything; no mountain is too high, no trouble too difficult to overcome.” – Wilma Rudolph
35. “Without mountains, we might find ourselves relieved that we can avoid the pain of the ascent, but we will forever miss the thrill of the summit. And in such a terribly scandalous trade-off, it is the absence of pain that becomes the thief of life.” – Craig D Lounsbrough
36. ‘’The most dangerous thing you can do in life is play it safe.’’ – Casey Neistat
Don’t be afraid but take the risk and follow your dreams. Yes, everything can go wrong, but at least you gave it a try.
37. “May your dreams be larger than mountains and may you have the courage to scale their summits.” – Harley King
Must read: 77 Best Travel Quotes To Inspire You To Travel More
Mountain Climbing Quotes
38. “He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary.” – Friedrich Neitszche
39. “The choices we make lead up to actual experiences. It is one thing to decide to climb a mountain. It is quite another to be on top of it.” – Herbert A. Simon
40. “Climb the mountain not to plant your flag, but to embrace the challenge, enjoy the air and behold the view. Climb it so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.” – David McCullough Jr.
Please when you go for a climb, don’t just do it for the picture or to mark something down on your bucketlist. Do it because you want the experience and the feeling when going for that challenge.
41. “May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.” – Edward Abbey
42. “You need mountains, long staircases don’t make good hikers”. – Amit Kalantri
The best training for hiking is not in the gym or at home, you really need to practise in the mountains!
43. “Women need opportunity and encouragement. If a girl can climb mountains, she can do anything positive within her field of work”.– Samina Baig
You can do it, whenever you can fight your way up that mountain you can also do that in your field of work. You can do so much more than you really think!
44. “As a professional climber, that’s the question you always get: Why, why, why? It’s an ineffable thing; you can’t describe it”. – Jimmy Chin
45. “The mountain decides whether you climb or not. The art of mountaineering is knowing when to go, when to stay, and when to retreat”. – Ed Viesturs
46. “Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountain and the sea, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more that what we could learn from books.” – John Lubbock
47. “Choose the mountain you want to climb: don’t pay attention to what other people say, such as “that one’s more beautiful” or “this one’s easier”. You’ll be spending lots of energy and enthusiasm to reach your objective, so you’re the only one responsible and you should be sure of what you’re doing”. – Paulo Coelho
Enjoy every part of it, the preparation, the bad moments and the good moments follow your own dreams. If you think that this mountain will be your next adventure go for it!
48. “The choices we make lead up to actual experiences. It is one thing to decide to climb a mountain. It is quite another to be on top of it”. – Herbert A. Simon
49. “You don’t climb mountains without a team, you don’t climb mountains without being fit, you don’t climb mountains without being prepared and you don’t climb mountains without balancing the risks and rewards. And you never climb a mountain on accident – it has to be intentional”. – Mark Udall
One of my absolute favorites!
50. “We don’t need competition between people. There is competition between every person and this mountain. The last word always belongs to the mountain”. – Everest (movie)
Pin for later
For more Travel Inspiration, check our travel tips for more general travel information and guides full of inspiration.